- The department of Radio diagnosis was started in the year 1961 as the Department of Radiology comprising of the departments of Radio-diagnosis, Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine.
- The First officer of the Department of Radiology was Dr. K.D. Reddy.
- The Department of Radiology separated into the departments of Radio-diagnosis and Radiotherapy in 1990.
- Currently, the Department is located in three blocks namely the main hospital block, super specialty block and emergency medical services.
- There are 7 faculties in the department at present and the Head of Department is Dr.A .Ramesh.
The successive list of HODs from 1961
- K.D. Reddy
- I. S. Dusaj
- O.P. Sharma
- S. Elangovan
- S. Vivekanandam
- K. S. Patro
- K. Nagarajan.
- A. Ramesh (Since March 2018 till date).
Equipments and services provided in the department
- Way back in 1990 ,the Department of Radio diagnosis had the following equipment
- 700 mA X Ray machine,
- 200 mA X Ray machine,
- 100 mA battery operated mobile unit
- and Conventional fluoroscopy machine.
- Several state-of-the-art equipments have been purchased over the last 6 decades
- Ultrasound machine with pulse Doppler facility was installed in our department in the year 1988.
- The then state-of-the-art Whole body Spiral CT scanner, the first of its kind in India was installed in JIPMER in the year 1994.
- At present, the department is equipped with
- Two state-of-the-art 1.5 tesla MRI systems,
- Three CT scanners ( 2 slice, 6 slice and 64 slice CT scanners),
- One 1000mA digital image intensifier,
- One 500 mA Image intensifier with high frequency Xray ,
- Ten ultrasound machines ,
- Two digital radiography units.
- Six X ray units
- Five computed radiography units
- Robotic CT tool positioner was installed in 2011 and it aids in performing complex CT guided interventional procedures and nerve blocks precisely and faster with better patient compliance and less radiation exposure.
- Picture archiving and communication system (PACS) was installed in November 2013 which enables effortless and prompt viewing of all imaging investigations by the clinicians in their OPD, wards and work areas.
- Vascular interventional radiology procedures were started since 2015 and various diagnostic as well as therapeutic interventional procedures such as bronchial artery and uterine artery embolization and preoperative tumor embolization, AVM embolization, chemoembolisation of liver tumors, coil placement, carotid stenting etc are being done since 2015 using the cardiac cath lab.
- New full field digital mammography unit equipped with digital breast tomosynthesis and stereotactic biopsy device was installed in the department in April 2016. Digital mammography guided Stereotactic breast biopsies are being performed on regular basis since March 2017 and Stereotactic and USG guided wire localizations and marker placements are being done since July 2018 .
- USG and CT guided intervention procedures such as FNAC, biopsy, pig tail drainage procedures are routinely being done.
- Percutaneous biliary drainage, sclerotherapy for varicose veins and Arteriovenous malformations are also being done regularly.
- USG Elastography is also being done regularly for liver, breast and thyroid lesions. Contrast enhanced USG is being done recently for liver, renal and pancreatic lesions.
- Dedicated fetal anomaly scan is being done on regular basis by faculty on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The department is committed to excellence in patient care, education and contributes regularly to research activity from all specialties of the Institute.
The department regularly conducts academic programmes and CMEs on its own as well as in collaboration with the Pondicherry subchapter of Tamilnadu and Pondicherry chapter of Indian radiological and Imaging Association.
The department of Radio-diagnosis offers quality diagnostic imaging services to all patients attending the main hospital, super specialty block, emergency medical services and regional cancer centre.